If you’re in the process of building a barn, you’ve undoubtedly thought at least a little bit about the type of barn doors you’ll want. There are three popular types of doors, and the best one is the one that best suits your needs. Are you building a farm workshop? Or are you building a top-of-the-line horse barn?
When it comes to pole barn doors, the most common types are sliding, overhead, and hydraulic. The following information will help you decide which is best for you.
Sliding Doors – The Budget Choice
Sliding doors offer great value for the money and are perfect for those who do not plan on moving things in and out of their barn on a daily basis, or for those who aren’t opposed to manually opening and closing the door.
- Sliding doors are typically one piece or split in the middle
- Can be mounted on the inside or outside of your building
- Sliding doors usually come with steel or aluminum framing
- The best value for a barn door, sliding doors made of lightweight materials like aluminum are much easier to open and close than their predecessors
When considering an overhead barn door, think of a traditional garage door that opens upwards. These are typically more costly than a sliding door but are a great option for regular use.
- Though overhead doors can be opened manually, those who use theirs regularly typically opt to use a garage door opener
- Overhead doors are available in widths up to 40 feet, making them great for even large equipment storage
The biggest and most capable of the bunch, hydraulic doors are heavy-duty and swing open. They were originally used for aircraft hangers, but have become popular for agricultural and commercial buildings as well.
- Hydraulic doors are available in either single-piece or two-piece designs
- Though costlier than other options, hydraulic doors are heavy-duty and work well for large openings
- A single piece door will swing outwards if hinged at the top. In many cases, this provides cover from rain and provides extra working space or shelter from the sun
If you’re still unsure which is best for you, the experts at Absolute Overhead Door Service are here to help. Call us today at 502-561-8444 with any questions about our barn door services, or to request an appointment.