6 Signs Your Garage Door Needs Repair
For many, the garage is an extra layer of security for their homes. It is a place to store vehicles, lawn and garden equipment, and valuable tools. That makes the garage door a vital part of a home’s security system, and it is important for homeowners to keep it in working condition.
How do you know when your garage door needs to be repaired or replaced? Some of the signs are obvious, but others you might not think about:
- It won’t open or close. This is an obvious sign that your garage door needs repair. A door that won’t move is either jammed on the tracks or in the engine; in some cases, the problem could be electrical. These are all potentially unsafe conditions and should be addressed by a garage door repair service professional.
- It runs, but slower than normal. This could indicate a problem with the motor and/or the electrical system.
- The door appears to move unevenly or sits unevenly on the ground. This could be a result of one side of the door being off its track slightly or a sign that one side is not working as efficiently as the other, leading to motor wear.
- The door shakes as it opens. This is another potentially dangerous situation, it often means one of the tracks is faulty.
- The door has fallen off of its tracks. This requires the visit of a garage door repair service professional. You should NEVER try to place a garage door back on its tracks yourself.
- The garage door runs loudly. With the exception of some older garage doors, your door shouldn’t run ear-rattling loud. It could be a problem with the motor or a mechanical problem.
If you notice your door running differently than it should, you should call a professional garage door repair service such as Absolute Overhead Door to come out and take a look at the door. Most garage doors have a lifespan of 10-15 years, so if your door is nearing the end of its life it may be wise to have it inspected even if it runs well.